Legacy of Faith: Willis UMC shares history, officially merges with Floyd UMC for services

Willis UMC evolved from three churches: Weeks Chapel, Hilton Mission, and Burks Fork. It merged with Floyd UMC at the beginning of July.

Legacy of Faith: Willis UMC shares history, officially merges with Floyd UMC for services
Ahead of Willis UMC's July 1 merger with Floyd UMC, members of both congregations gather at the Willis church to celebrate its history within the Floyd County community. Photo submitted

Submitted by Linda King

The long ministry of Willis United Methodist Church was celebrated at the church on Sunday, May 3. Rev. Jake Davis, current pastor of the Floyd Circuit, which includes Willis UMC, Falling Branch UMC, and Camp Bethel UMC, welcomed the nearly 80 attendees to the afternoon service. The service honored the history of Willis UMC, which merged with Floyd United Methodist Church on July 1. 

Misty Griffin played the piano as the congregation sang the opening hymn, “Great is Thy Faithfulness.” Rev. Dr. Timothy Hale pastor of Floyd UMC, then offered an Invitation of Unity.  

Linda King then read the History of the Church which dates back to 1893. Willis UMC evolved from three churches: Weeks Chapel, Hilton Mission, and Burks Fork. King, a member of Floyd United Methodist Church, but who grew up in the Willis United Methodist Church recognized former ministers in attendance: Rev. Elaine Eberhart who served from 1989-1990, Rev. Dr. Josh Kilbourne who pastored from 2006-2010, Rev. Darlene Marshall who led the church from 2012-2019, and current pastor Jake Davis.  

It is believed that the first Methodist Church in the Willis area was started in the 1860s by a man named William Thompson, better known as “Uncle Billy.” He started preaching in the home of Lewis Weeks.  As the membership grew, the home became too small to hold services, and a new church was built on the property in 1875. This was known as Weeks Chapel. Records show Rev. L. C. Taylor as pastor in 1888 with approximately 200 members on the church roll from 1888-1930.   

Week’s Chapel remained a thriving church until around the 1930s.  Many members moved away or died so the members at Willis requested that Rev. R. C. Bailey ask the Conference to merge Weeks Chapel with the Methodist Episcopal Church at Willis and so the merger occurred.   

In 1893 a church was established in Hilton, Virginia (later becoming Willis, Virginia) within the boundary of the Holston Conference.  It was known as “Hilton Mission.”  The first Methodist Pastor was the Rev. Marion Quesenberry, who served from 1903-1906 and later from 1908-1910.

Hilton Mission remained until around 1920 when a new church was built by the Masonic Lodge, the Methodist and the Baptist.  The Masons used the upstairs for their monthly meetings, and the Methodist and Baptist jointly used the lower part until the early 1960’s when the Baptist deeded their part to the Methodist.  In 1995 the Masonic Lodge deeded the upstairs to the Methodist.  The church was taken down in 1996, and the area is now used for parking. 

The third church to merge with Willis was Burks Fork. Burks Fork was formed in the early 1900s.  It became a thriving Methodist Church for around 50 years. Burks Fork was originally a part of the Hilton Charge but in time it, as well as Willis, became part of the Floyd Circuit.  Sometime in the early 60’s Burks Fork closed and its members were welcomed into the Willis Congregation.

During the pastorate of Rev. C.H. Loudy a new building was planned on a plot of land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Carlie Keith, members of the Willis Methodist Church.  After prayerful consideration, a decision was made to construct a new church building.  An informal capital campaign was organized, seed money was raised and construction began by the Phillips Brothers Construction.  The cornerstone was erected in 1958 with trustees Wilmer Hill, Ray Hollandsworth, Carlie Keith, Selma Keith, Carlin Maberry, Arthur Spence, Andrew Weeks, and Rev. Loudy leading the ceremonies.  Placed in the cornerstone was a history of the church, a list of the official board and membership and the names of those whose faith and works contributed directly to the erection of the church.

The church opened in 1960. The dedication of the church took place May 7, 1967, under the pastorate of Rev. J.N. Shankle.  

The modern Willis UMC building. Photo submitted

On April 23, 1968, in Dallas, Texas, The United Methodist Church was created through a merger of The Methodist Church and The Evangelical United Brethren Church.  This union created one of the largest Protestant denominations, representing a merger of Methodist, Evangelical and United Brethren traditions. Thus, Willis Methodist Church became Willis United Methodist Church. 

In 1971-72 during the ministry of Rev. Pete Wohlwend a parsonage was built on a lot adjacent to the church which was given by Mr. and Mrs. Earnest Hubbard.  A dedication of the new parsonage was held on May 6, 1973, under the pastorate of Leslie C. Adams.  This parsonage is jointly owned by the three churches on the Floyd Circuit of the United Methodist Church: Camp Bethel, Falling Branch, and Willis. 

For well over 130 years many families in the Willis community have worshipped and nurtured their faith at the local United Methodist Church.  The community has profited from the work, integrity and faith of these dedicated Christians who shared God’s word, love and grace.           

Attendance has declined over the past few years and after much prayer and trepidation, the Administrative Council of the Willis United Methodist Church voted to merge with the Floyd United Methodist Church on July 1.  With God’s help, this congregation will continue to grow and influence our lives, making a difference in our small community and beyond.

A time for sharing of memories was offered at the celebration service and several individuals shared sentimental and funny stories from their childhood faith experiences at Willis UMC.  This included Catherine Vaughn Pauley, Linda Tolbert King, Sonny Harmon Popp, Catherine Ross Phillips Parker, Becky Alderman Thompson, and Rev. Stanley Hawkins.  

Rev. Dr. Kilbourne then offered a Prayer of Thanksgiving, and Mrs. Janet Nester presented an Anthem entitled, ”His Eyes On The Sparrow.” Following the Anthem Rev. Kilbourne presented the Sermon, “Great is Thy Faithfulness,” utilizing scriptures from Lamentations 3:22-23 and Hebrews 12:1-2. He spoke of the steadfast love of the Lord and the never-ending mercies of God inspiring us to run life’s race with perseverance while inspired by past faithful followers. 

Rev. Kilbourne then spoke of the numerous wonderful memories from his time as pastor with the families of the Floyd Circuit. He invited attendees to share Communion, and the service was concluded with the singing of the hymn, “Blest Be the Tie that Binds” and a Benediction of Blessings from Numbers 6:24-26.

Everyone was then invited to stay for refreshments and enjoyed fellowship, looking through old photo albums and church directories, and reminiscing about memories from years’ past.